Where can you meet real, live O.C.Writers?
Glad you asked. We have a leadership team of selfless creatives hosting free events around the county. Please check our Calendar for current updates.
Yes, it’s me again. At my Write In we bring our laptops, notebooks, or other implements of construction and write for two 50 minute sprints. In between, we have a 10 minute meet and greet. Afterwards, those who can stay and chat.
- Days: Mondays
- Time: 10:30 – 12:30: followed by chat
- Location: Panera Bread, Woodbury Town Center, 6372 Irvine Blvd, Irvine, CA
Frank Pray hosts a Write In he describes as “A sit down, shut up and write” group that for one uninterrupted hour does what the title states. They may chat before or after, and start 30 minutes before the hour’s time begins. The barista generally knows them by name and can guide you to the table.
- Days: Each Sunday
- Time: 3:00-3:30 warmups; 3:30 – 4:30 write
- Location: Sootha Coffee, 4840 Irvine Blvd, Irvine, CA
As well as managing the OC Writers Meetup group in the past, Nyx Goldstone heads a Write In at the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Santa Ana, off Main and Memory Lane. The atmosphere is laid back and chatty as they bounce ideas off each other. A little less heads-down-and-write and a little more what-do-you-think-of-this-
- Days: Sundays
- Time: 11am to 2pm
- Location: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 2783 N. Main Street, Main St./Memory Lane, Santa Ana, CA
Despite being a born-and-raised So Cal girl, Nyx Goldstone is anything but a “typical” Californian. She loves all things geek and it shows in her stories. She writes mainly fantasy, sci-fi, and horror.
Casey Dorman hosts the Lake Forest Writers’ Roundtable Group. This group meets once a week for an hour and a half to discuss topics of mutual interest about writing. At times we have preselected topics (finding beta readers, marketing, self-publishing, best first pages, etc.) and at other times we have a free-flowing conversation about whatever each of us is doing right now. Many of the writers come early and write on their own before the meeting begins and several stay after to write. All genres and type of writers are welcome and the group is usually very eclectic. We’re in Panera Bread and some eat while we talk and some don’t.
- Days: Each Thursday
- Time: 10:30 – 12:00
- Location: Panera Bread, 23592 Rockfield Blvd., Lake Forest, CA
New Workshop Series Coming Soon!
Read and Review is a bimonthly critique event hosted by the Katie Wheeler Library in Irvine. It offers writers of all levels the opportunity to read their work and receive helpful critique in a supportive environment. Click here for more information.
- Days: Second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. (Check Calendar for exact dates)
- Time: 6:00 – 7:45 P.M.
- Location: The Katie Wheeler Library, 13109, Old Myford Rd., Irvine, CA 92602
- Days: Usually the second Wednesday of each month. (Check Calendar for exact dates)
- Time: 6:00 – 7:45 P.M.
- Location: The Katie Wheeler Library, 13109 Old Myford Rd, Irvine, CA 92602
What’s happening on-line?
Glad you asked that too. Our most happening spot is our Facebook Group. Please pop over and ask to join if you haven’t already. But wait, there’s more…
- Days: Mondays 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Wednesdays 1pm – 2pm and Fridays 8am – 9am with spontaneous sprints announced every couple weeks or so.
J J Gow hosts Monday Motivation on our main Facebook Group page. Motivation is an invitation to writers of all levels to set goals and support and encourage each other to achieve them.
J.J. Gow is a biochemist & a children’s books author (#PB #MG #YA #KidLit). Her work was published in scientific journals, Yahoo, LitCentralOC, CBW-LA’s anthologies/ novellas. She is an active member of OC Writers, 12X12, SCBWI, and two critique groups. You can follow her on Twiller @WriterJJGow.
Other Facebook Group weekly events:
Wednesday Welcome Mat: Each week O.C. Writers can post a link to one of their social media or websites and everyone is invited to follow each other.
Good News Fridays: Once a week you can brag to your heart’s content so the O.C. Writer community can celebrate with you.